The Redstone Update is finally out! Get it via the launcher
- Added Redstone Comparator (used in Redstone logic)
- Added Hopper (collects items and moves them to containers)
- Added Dropper (similar to Dispensers, but always drops the item)
- Added Activator Rail (activates TNT Minecarts)
- Added Daylight Sensor
- Added Trapped Chest
- Added Weighed Pressure Plate
- Added Block of Redstone
- Added Nether Brick (item)
- Added Nether Quartz and ore
- Added Block of Quartz, with half blocks and chiseled variants
- New command: /scoreboard
- New command: /effect
- Containers and mobs can have custom names
- Inventory management has been changed, for example you can drag-place items over slots
- Texture packs now have separate images for each block and item, and can have animations
- Nether Quartz Ore now spawns in the Nether
- Smooth lighting now has three settings (none, minimal, maximum)
- More detailed death messages
- Some hostile mobs now are harder in Hard difficulty
- Many, many, bug fixes
- Removed Herobrine
Watch the Minecraft 1.5 Redstone Update in song
Minecraft for Windows
Download Minecraft.exe. Place it anywhere you want, then run it.
Minecraft for Mac OS X
Download Minecraft.zip. Unpack and place Minecraft in your /Applications folder.
Minecraft for Linux / Other
Download minecraft.jar. The jar is executable and might work as-is. If you run into memory issues, try launching it with java -Xmx1024M -Xms512M -cp minecraft.jar net.minecraft.LauncherFrame, also please use Sun’s JVM.
If you’re running on Windows and just want to set up a server easily, download Minecraft_Server.exe and run it.
If you want to run the server on any other OS or without GUI it’s a bit more involved. First make sure you can use java from the command line. On Linux and Mac OS X this should already be set up but on Windows you might have to tinker with the PATH environment variable. Download and run minecraft_server.jar with java -Xmx1024M -Xms1024M -jar minecraft_server.jar nogui.
Credits: The Minecraft and Minecraft Realms teams